NEI Audacious Goal (AG) Initiative
This page is the central point for all information related to the Audacious goal and high priority research areas and will be updated regularly.
NEI's Audacious Goal
High Priority Areas of Research
About the AG Initiative
The NEI selected this audacious goal to energize the vision research community with the knowledge that NEI is committed to making this a reality. We selected this goal after more than a year of gathering ideas, planning and discussing with many experts from all over the world. Learn more about how the NEI is paying special attention to the AG and the two high priority research areas.
Molecular Therapies for Eye Disease Program Announcement (PA-13-283) OPEN
Program Director: Houmam Araj, PhD (email@example.com)
Intersection of Aging and Biological Mechanisms of Eye Disease Program Announcement (PA-13-332) OPEN: Jan 5, 2014
Program Director: George McKie, DVM, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org)
AG Actions and Events
Jan 23 Report of AG Working Group to the National Advisory Eye Council (NAEC) Meeting (open to the public) **
Jan 22 AG Target Development Working Group Meeting (Bethesda, MD) **
Oct 17 (CANCELLED due to shutdown) Report of AG Working Group to the National Advisory Eye Council (NAEC) Meeting (open to the public)
Oct 16 (CANCELLED due to shutdown) AG Target Development Working Group Meeting (Bethesda, MD)
Aug 14 Clarification of Scope of Research for Molecular Therapies for Eye Disease Program Announcement (NOT-EY-13-003
Aug 13 Intersection of Aging and Biological Mechanisms of Eye Disease Program Announcement (PA-13-332; open date, Jan 5, 2014)
July 24 Molecular Therapies for Eye Disease Program Announcement (PA-13-283; open date, Sept 5, 2013)
June 13, 2013
- Dr. Sieving formally announced the AG and two high priority research areas.
- Dr. Sieving formed the AG working group which will identify specific targets for the AG and will provide ongoing extramural scientific input to the NAEC and the NEI for the initiative.
- NAEC endorsed development of funding opportunities for each of the two high priority areas of research.
- AG Initiative: Not Business as Usual!
- AG Development Working Group
- NEI Audacious Goal announcement by Dr. Paul Sieving on May 5, 2013 at ARVO
- How the NEI identified the AG and the two high priority research areas
- NEI Audacious Goals Development Meeting, February 2013
- NIH competition awards prizes for audacious ideas in vision research
- NIH launches contest for audacious goals in vision research
- Vision Research: Needs, Gaps, and Opportunities (2012 PDF)
- Other NEI Planning Activities
Last Update: October 2013